Notice is hereby given to Members of the Arizona State Parks Board and the general public that the Board will hold a meeting, open to the public on Friday, February 20, 2009, at 9 a.m. in the Peoria City Council Chambers, 8401 W. Monroe Street, Peoria, AZ 85345. The Board may elect to hold an Executive Session for any agendized item at any time during the meeting to discuss or consult with its legal counsel for legal advice on matters listed on this agenda. Items on the Agenda may be discussed out of order, unless those items are specifically noted and set for a time certain. Public comment will be taken. The Board will discuss and may take action on the following matters.
AGENDA (items may be taken in any order unless set for a time certain)
A. CALL TO ORDER – ROLL CALL – 9 A.M.
B. EXECUTIVE SESSION – Upon a public majority vote, the Board may hold an Executive Session, which is not open to the public for the following purposes:
- To discuss or consult with its legal counsel for legal advice on matters listed on this agenda pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.03.A.3. (a) Ramifications of suspending grant contracts, (b) Ramifications of closing parks, deed restrictions, covenants.
- Discussions or consultations with designated representatives of the public body in order to consider its position and instruct its representatives regarding negotiations for the purchase, sale or lease of real property matters listed on this agenda pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.03.A.7. (a) Contact Point Recreation and Public Purpose Lease.
- To discuss or consider employment, assignment, appointment, promotion, demotion, dismissal, salary, discipline or resignation of a public officer, appointee or employee of any public body pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.03.A.1. (a) Hiring an Executive Director, (b) Personnel Actions, Including Lay-Offs, Reductions-In-Force, and Furloughs.
C. INTRODUCTIONS OF BOARD MEMBERS AND AGENCY STAFF
- Board Statement — “As Board members we are gathered to be the stewards and the voice of Arizona State Parks’ Mission Statement: Managing and Conserving Arizona’s Natural, Cultural, and Recreational Resources, Both In Our Parks and Through Our Partners for the Benefit of the People.”
D. CONSENT AGENDA – The following items of a non-controversial nature have been grouped together for a single vote without Board discussion. The Consent Agenda is a timesaving device and Board members received documentation regarding these items prior to the open meeting. Any Board member may remove any item from the Consent Agenda for discussion and a separate vote at this meeting, as deemed necessary. The public may view the documentation relating to the Consent Agenda at the Board’s office: 1300 W. Washington, Suite 104, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Approve Minutes of January 9, 2009, Arizona State Parks Board meeting
- Approve Executive Session Minutes of January 9, 2009, Arizona State Parks meeting
- Approve Minutes of February 3, 2009, Arizona State Parks Board meeting
E. DISCUSSION ITEMS
- Discussion on Issuance of the Off Highway Vehicle Licenses by Motor Vehicle Division
- Composition of the Off Highway Vehicle Sub-Committee
- Contact Point request from Lake Havasu City regarding BLM lease
- Governor’s Task Force on Arizona State Parks
- Update on the hiring of the Executive Director
- Executive Director’s Hiring Subcommittee report
- Legislative Update
- Budget update on Fiscal Years 2009 and 2010
- Fiscal year 2009 Arizona State Parks Budget reduction measures – Including but not limited to; Park closures, reduction of park hours/days of operation, personnel actions, furloughs, reduced work schedules, hiring freezes, salary reductions, reductions in force for covered employees, layoffs for uncovered employees, reducing administrative expenses (Phoenix Office), suspension of grants and the legal ramifications, alternative funding including capital funds, Heritage Funds, Law Enforcement Boating Safety Fund, Off Highway Vehicle “sticker revenue”
F. BOARD ACTION ITEMS
- Appoint new members to the Off Highway Vehicle Advisory Group (OHVAG) – The committee recommends that the following two individuals be appointed to fill the vacancies on OHVAG: R. Hank Rogers and David L. Moore and that they each serve a three-year term beginning January 9, 2009.
- Contact Point – The Board will take action on Lake Havasu City’s request for approval of their application to the Bureau of Land Management.
- Fiscal year 2009 Budget revisions. The Parks Board will take actions regarding the FY2009 budget.
- The Board may decide to take action regarding hiring an Executive Director.
- Morrison Institute – Grady Gammage, Jr.
- Recognition for Service
- 2009/2010 Budget Options
H. TIME AND PLACE OF NEXT MEETING AND CALL FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Staff recommends that the next Arizona State Parks Board Meeting be on April 3, 2009 at the Old City Hall of Yuma Council Chambers located at 180 W. First Street, Yuma, AZ.
- Board members may wish to discuss issues of interest to Arizona State Parks and request staff to place specific items on future Board meeting agendas.
I. CALL TO THE PUBLIC – Consideration and discussion of comments and complaints from the public. Those wishing to address the Board must register at the door and be recognized by the Chair. It is probable that each presentation will be limited to one person per organization. Action taken as a result of public comment will be limited to directing staff to study or reschedule the matter for further consideration at a later time.